Moving Preparation Timeline
Ready or not! We’ll get you ready to move out, the correct way!
- Purchase packing supplies, such as packing boxes, tape, and packing paper or bubble wrap. Buy stickers or red markers to flag fragile items, and black markers to label other boxes.
- Start keeping track of all moving expenses, because some might be tax deductible.
- Clean and organize all closets.
- De-clutter every room, including the garage.
- Pack unused items that you intend to keep. Store them in an out of the way location.
- Donate unneeded items to charity or have a garage sale to get rid of them.
4-6 Weeks before Moving
- Continue packing if you are packing yourself. If you have a large residence you may wish to have friends or family help if you don’t want to do it all be yourself or hire us to pack your belongings. Ask your mover for advice on what or how to pack.
- Contact people who work with you on a regular basis, such as pool maintenance companies and gardeners, to cancel their services. Leave their business cards for the new occupant.
2 Weeks before Moving
- Call utility companies and arrange for meter readings on the day of closing so that all services after that date are the responsibility of the new owner. The new owner should also notify utilities of the switchover and set up new accounts.
- Have utilities disconnected at closing if the new occupant does not establish new accounts.
- Arrange to discontinue your home telephone service on your move date. Give your cell phone number to everyone associated with the move in case they need to reach you after your home phone has been disconnected.
- Arrange to disconnect your satellite or cable TV.
- Now do just the opposite to begin establishing services at your new residence.
- File a change of address notice at the post office, making it effective on your moving date or a few days before.
- Notify your creditors, magazine and newspaper subscriptions, friends and family, doctors, and dentists of your new address.
- Order bank checks with your new address. If you are moving out of the area, establish a new account. Return library books and rented DVDs. Arrange to have your prescriptions transferred to a pharmacy near your new residence.
- Start an essentials box or two containing all the things you’ll need immediately after you unload at your new location, such as toiletries, towels, a change of clothes, and bedding.
1 Week before Moving
- If a house sale is involved confirm that your closing is on track and handle tasks required by your closing agent. Arrange to have your homeowners insurance transferred to your new home.
- Confirm your service arrangements with your moving company.
- Clean each room thoroughly as you finish packing. Clean all appliances which will remain and place their manuals in a kitchen drawer. Wait to pack your vacuum and other tools necessary for last minute cleaning on moving day.
- Arrange to have pets and small children out of the way on moving day.
On Moving Day
- Walk through every part of your residence before the movers leave to be sure nothing has been left behind. Look in every closet and open every drawer and cabinet.
- Make sure you have keys to your new residence.
- Supervise the movers as they unload so that furniture and boxes go in the correct room or area.
- Before signing the bill of lading ask the movers if they are aware of any damage. If any damage has been observed make a note of it on that document.
- Unpack only what is necessary and relax. Enjoy your new residence.